Welcome to Mrs. Echternach’s Math Class!
Please have the following supplies:
- a zippered pencil pouch, with 2 – 3 sharpened pencils
- an old, clean sock to use as a white board eraser
- a personal set of headphones or earbuds which will be kept at school
Math Homework Expectations
Students are expected to learn the language of math. Each week, we will focus on math vocabulary:
- Testing Tuesday – Students will be tested on their weekly math vocab.
- Word Wednesday – Students will receive their new vocabulary words. Throughout the week, students should study the words at home (they can be cut apart into flash cards) for the test the following Tuesday.
Math homework will also be assigned throughout the week allowing students to practice our current concept/skill focus. Students should keep track of math homework assignments on their weekly assignment sheet. Daily math assignments should take no more than 10 minutes to complete.
Our current unit of study focuses on Place Value of Whole Numbers and Decimal Fractions to the One-Thousandths. Some of the skills your student will practice are:
- Using whole number exponents to denote powers of 10
- Reading and writing decimals to thousandths using base 10 numerals, word form, and expanded form
- Comparing two decimals to thousandths based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < symbols
- Rounding decimals to ones, tenths, hundredths, or thousandths place
At home, you can support your young mathematician by reviewing basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division facts, which are integral to calculating multi-digit computation. Homework will be sent after we have had ample opportunities to practice and work with the skill or concept in class.