Summer's Blog

Thoughts need words, and words need power… -Sharon M. Draper

If a Cyclops-Orange Ruled the Planet: Chapter 1- A Strange Place

on June 14, 2017

          I sat there, daydreaming in class.  It’s a habit of mine.  Believe me, it’s incurable.  Just then, my teacher’s ear-piercing voice cut like a silver blade through my dream: “Okay, class!  Take your journals out!  Today you will be writing a journal-entry.  It, not should, but MUST start with the word ‘if.’  Now, ‘if’ can be a very powerful word.  Blah……blah……blah.  Ms. Cracklebush’s voice was fading away.  Did I also mention that I have selective hearing?  The mystical world of mountains glaring through purple mist and rows of glistening trees dancing gracefully in the wind gathered into my wondrous mind again.  That was the most common of the hundreds of thousands of settings that I imagine in my daydreams.  It just feels so natural, even the purple mist.

          All of a sudden, I lost control of my brain.  I was now in deep concentration of my make-believe world.  Never-ending trees.  Ever so tall mountains.  Mysterious purple mist.  I felt like I was actually there.  Then, every single one of the trees disappeared back into the grassy earth.  The purple mist turned to orange.  The mountains grew even taller.  What was happening?  Nothing was staying the same.  Everything was changing.  I didn’t understand.  Didn’t I have control over my daydreams?  The once grassy earth changed to a nebula-colored surface.  This was not right, or was it?

          I started to listen closely.  I heard tiny voices in the distance.  What were they from?  Who were they from?  My mind was asking all sorts of questions.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t answer any of them.  This was the most confusing place that I had ever “been” in.  I wanted to get out of this crazy dream immediately.  Then, out of nowhere, I heard this loud voice.  The exact words that came out of the invisible mouth were these, “There is NO going back!  At least not until you see what’s in store.  MWAAAAHHAAAAAHHAAAAAAHHAAAAHHAAAA!”

          “Oh… my…,” I was so scared that I couldn’t even finish that simple statement.

          Suddenly, those tiny voices I heard before were getting louder.  Not so tiny anymore.  Louder by the second.  I was freaking out.  Most of me was begging to go home.  But, about 2% of me wanted to see “what was in store.”  I couldn’t move, which was unlucky for the remaining 98% of me.

          The voices now sounded like they were directly behind me, so I whirled around in fear.  I gasped.  Behind me were hundreds of Oranges and a few Grapefruits decorated with gold sparkles.  The Oranges had one eye and rolled around to get where they wanted.  The Grapefruits were sliced in half and also had one eye.  Who knows how they got around?  “Uh oh,” I accidentally said out loud.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar