2018-19 Winter and Spring practice selections are located immediately above.. Click, listen and practice!
1 – Sifuni Leo (Winter)
2 – Day-O (Spring)
3 – Yellow Bird (Spring)
4 – Walk With Me (Spring)
5 – Thunder (Spring – with the MS Orchestra) – THIS IS IT!
The World Music Ensembles at Garden Spot Middle and High Schools perform music from many diverse cultures. They perform primarily on percussion instruments, including percussion instruments from around the world. The group may perform on darboukas (hand drums) from North Africa, a djembe, ashiko or mpugni from West or East Africa, as well as a variety of instruments from Latin America or Japan. They perform music from North Africa and the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and Japan as well as traditional percussion ensemble literature. The group has expanded its focus to include dance from West Africa and hopes to further this exploration in the future. The world is the source of their musical literature. The goal is to expand our musical horizons and to share the music through public performances.
TWO – NEW! – IMPORTANT REHEARSAL DATES:
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 and Wednesday, April 24, 2019 during 8th period until 3:45 P.M. – We will rehearse Thunder with MS Orchestra and MS World Beat. We will have a sound engineer here to make sure that the strings and percussion are balanced. We need to set up microphones and set the microphone levels and place them correctly as well as rehearse. These rehearsals are the most effective if we have everyone present in both groups. We may have time to practice our other selections for both groups. On April 17th, we will rehearse at the beginning of the day just before the PSSAs and then report immediately after school to the stage to rehearse again with sound. On April 24th, you will come down to the stage during 8th period and we will continue to rehearse immediately after school. On both days, you may have a parent pick you up at 3:45 or you may ride the 4:00 P.M. late bus for both of these after-school rehearsals. Thank you for your dedication to Orchestra and World Beat!
Important Concert Dates:
TBD = To be determined. I will post as soon as I know for sure!
- Middle School Holiday Concert ……. Monday, December 10, 2018; 7 P.M. Report time is 6:30 P.M. in the band room.
- 6th Grade Orientation Concert ……..Thursday, April 25, 2019; Report at 5:45 P.M. (We will play from 6:15 to 6:30 P.M.)
- Middle School Assembly Concert …. Tuesday, April 30, 2019; 1:30 P.M. Report at 1:15 to the Band Room.
- Middle School Spring Concert ……… Thursday, May 02, 2019; 7 P.M. Report at 6:30 P.M.
- Music in the Parks (Dorney Park) …. May 03, 2019 – All day: Report to the rear parking lot at 6:00 – 6:15 A.M. Depart 6:45 A.M. Return at approximately 10:00 P.M.
- Spirit Day/MS Games Day Concert ………….. Thursday, May TBD, 2019; Report to Mr. Stover after checking in with your HR teacher.
- MS Talent Show……. Friday, May TBD, 2019 (AM – during school).
- Boys and Girls: Nice pants, a nice shirt and dark (black preferred) shoes. No shorts or white tennis shoes. You may wear your World Beat shirt from last year, if you have one.
Spring Concert and all other performances:
- Members should wear their World Beat shirt, and nice shoes. You may also wear nice pants, light or dark, for Spring.
Please practice your music at home for these concerts.
Mr. Stover thanks you in advance!