Thinking Ahead to Summer
Before we get too exited about warm weather (and the possible snowfall that is coming tonight into tomorrow) I wanted to add a new offering for high school students. PSU is having a pre-vet day where, if you are interested in possibly studying vet science, you can learn more about the career options in that field. For more information please check out the flyer and the registration form.
I figured that, since the weather was so mild with rain and sunshine rather than snow, you might be thinking ahead to summer. There are some Summer Enrichment Camps held at IU13 on New Holland Avenue that I want to tell you about.
- Summer Chess Exploration: Choices, Pawn-Chains, and Checkmates for 7th graders. Dates are June 19-22. Chess camp flyer 2017-1u9y43a
- Jump In! Exploring the Science and Fun of H2O for 7th graders. Dates are Aug 7-10. Jump In flyer 2017-19g79qu
- Volunteer Experience Opportunities— IU13 is looking for students grades 8-12 who are looking for leadership experience. 16 and older will work with Camp Invention and 8th grade on up will work with the elementary camps. Call for more information at 717-606-1822.
North Museum has a program called STEM Sisters. They have two offerings at no cost that might interest the girls:
- Winter Meet Up February 8 from 5:30-8:00 pm for grades 6-12. “As teams, STEM Sisters participants utilize principals from all STEM disciplines to work together to build a dynamic Museum exhibit.”
- Curiosity Quest Jun 14, 2017 half day event for grades 6-8. “Focusing on STEM Sisters at the middle school level, the STEM Sisters Curiosity Quest is a time of discovery. This event is designed to engage girls with fun, hands-on STEM activities (such as computer coding and 3D printing).
Contact information at the Museum is northmuseum.org/stemsisters or 717-358-3941.
Pennsylvania Governor’s School for Global and International Studies
June 18-July 14, 2917 A four-week residential program at the University of Pittsburgh campus where the students will study human rights and security, global health, the environment, and inequality. Application deadline is March 1, 2017. Further details and application at www.govschool.pitt.edu
Also, there is an upcoming free event on Wednesday, February 15th at the Lancaster County Convention Center at 6:30 PM : A FREE presentation, (Re)Defining the Goal: The True Path to Career Readiness in the 21st Century, national career strategist Dr. Kevin Fleming, offers clear steps that will give you a competitive advantage. Technical skills are the new currency. Do you have a plan to acquire them without breaking the bank? Get on the path to success in the new economy! Thaddeus Stevens is giving away THREE FULL-TUITION SCHOLARSHIPS to qualifying students in attendance! For more information or to register go to: Stevens College or Free Registration Register by February 8, 2017 for a chance to win 1 of 3 – $100 Gift Cards! Winners of either the Amazon Gift Card or Tuition must be in attendance to redeem prize! Registration is not required, but strongly encouraged!
If I come across more events, I will post them here.