In order to offer the opportunity for Eastern Lancaster County School District (ELANCO) Staff to personalize their professional development, the flexible professional development plan was first established for the 2016-17 school year and will continue for the 2019-20 school year. The details of the plan are in accordance with the District’s Strategic Plan and are outlined below.
Course Structure and Offerings:
- All ELANCO approved professional development courses will be offered in one of three different formats – traditional face-to-face, blended, or online. The Spartan Learning Portal / Canvas learning management system will be utilized as the delivery and management system for the blended and online options.
- Courses will be classified based on their respective time requirements for a combination of face-to-face and online work outside of staff contract time:
- 100 Level Courses: 4-8 hours
- For 2019-20, All ELANCO staff are asked to participate in one of the required book studies to count towards one of the two Flex PD options. For the other Flex PD option, staff may select another 100 level course from the Flex PD Catalog or choose another book study. The book will be purchased for you. Once registration is completed, you will be given the option of which format you would like your book. Groups that are meeting face-to-face or blended will be contacted by the book study leader and dates for those meetings will be set based on study group availability. If a staff member chooses the summer online book study, it will be asynchronous and must be completed between 6/12/19 and 8/21/19.
- In some instances staff members may be asked to participate in a course(s) if the course is a required training as part of a district initiative or is an area of growth discussed with building administrator. Staff in Year 1, Year 2 and Year 3 of the ELANCO Induction Program will be assigned to a course(s).
- The 2019-20 Flexible PD term begins on June 10, 2019 and runs through the last day of April 2020. May 1st, 2020 is the deadline to complete the course requirements for the 2019-20 school year.
- All blended and face-to-face courses will have a designated start and end date. For the blended course option, any face-to-face meeting times and locations will be announced in advance by the instructor to allow for participants to schedule their availability. Most online courses have a flexible start date but must be completed in a specified time period.
- If a course enrollment is too low, some ELANCO courses may not be offered. If this occurs, staff members will be notified to select an alternative.
- If a course is part of an off-site conference, any hotel accommodations, meals, and travel are the responsibility of the employee.
Course Completion Benefits:
- Completion of a 100 Level course counts towards one of the ELANCO Flexible In-Service Days.
ELANCO Flexible In-Service Days for 2019-20 School Year: (6 hours per day)
- 1st Flex Day – Wednesday, November 27, 2019
- 2nd Flex Day – Thursday, April 9, 2020
Course Participation Agreement:
- All aspects of the flexible professional development courses should be completed outside of teacher contracted hours.
- Participants must complete the requirements of each course to the standard of the instructor.
- At the conclusion of 2019-20 courses, log into Frontline Education’s My Learning Plan to mark the course complete and complete the online course evaluation and reflection that is required to receive professional development credit.