November 20

Student Blog Challenge: Week 7

Week 7: Thinking Globally

Have you heard of Mahika Halepete? I hadn’t until I attended an online Global Education Conference last week. Who is she and why am I mentioning her?

Look at this post about her as a grade 8 student. Her writing and singing skills have taken her a long way in just one year.

She presented a session at the conference about youth empowerment through design thinking. She has created her own Non profit organization to empower young people (ages 12 to 25) in developing countries to design and implement projects that solve problems affecting them and their communities.

All this before she turned 16 years old!

Think globally, act locally

Locally

• My recycling bin has more in it every week than my normal rubbish bin.
  • I have a worm farm that chews up any extra fruit and vegetable rubbish I might have left over.
  • Whenever I go for a walk, I pick up any rubbish especially on the beach nearby.

Globally

• I sponsor a Panda with World Wildlife Fund
  • I sponsor a child in Sri Lanka to improve the lifestyle of the child, their family and community. Have sponsored since I received my first pay cheque as a teacher back in the 1970s.
  • I donate to Kiva with micro loans of $25. I have made 69 loans so far and 8 friends I have invited have also made loans

What could you do about some of these world problems?

Here is a great website with lots of information about many topics below.

There might be some that are more specific to your area of the world. But this week research one of the following topics:

• hunger
  • water
  • racism
  • use of resources
  • global warming
  • specific aspects of the environment
  • unemployment
  • war and unrest
  • use of land
  • terrorism
  • HIV/Aids
  • child labour
  • women’s rights
  • education and literacy
  • another global issue of your choice

Activity 1: For this challenge we are looking at research skills, attribution, links and creativity in how you have presented the work.

For the topic you have chosen you might want to create two or three shorter posts rather than one very long one.

In your posts, include links to where you researched and some images with attribution. You might also want to include a poll or survey, a collage of images, a slideshow you have created. You may have found a great video you could also include.

Teachers – Here are some links to where you might get some ideas –  Global Concerns Impact, educating for global citizenship, ACEE – student voicesGlobal Oneness project – bringing the world to your classroom

Activity 2: Global issues in your classroom

Have you or your class taken part in some work associated with a global issue? Create a post about what you were involved in. Check out what some classes did a few years ago relating to Uganda. Here is a wonderful newish website about projects students and classes can join in.

Activity 3: Visit other blogs

Visit at least ten other blogs not from your country. Ask questions about some of the issues they might have in their country. Make some comparisons between the countries taking part in the challenge. Write a post about your findings.

Activity 4: Be creative

Use a web 2.0 tool to be creative about global issues. This might be a poll or survey, a quiz, write a poem, create a poster, draw a picture, write a story or cartoon about a super hero saving the world – just be creative.

Activity 5: Do something

Do something about a global issue. Here are links to games and activities for kids about global issues. What did you choose to look at? Write a review in your post.

Teacher resources – Action Aid resources, Know My WorldiEarn in many countries of the world, World SavvyKiva – help entrepreneurs around the world

Still more time to spare?

Visit students and classes from the other countries involved in the challenge. Leave a comment or question relating to a global issue that might be affecting them.

Leave a comment on this blog telling Miss W. the global issue you think is most important to be solved. It might not be one of those mentioned in the post. Give reasons why it should be the first issue solved.

Posted November 20, 2017 by Mr. Geiman in category Uncategorized

About the Author

My name is Adam Geiman and I was born and raised in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I graduated from Millersville University with a Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education and Philadelphia University with a Masters of Science in Instructional Design and Technology. I am a soon-to-be father of a beautiful baby daughter and have been married to my best friend for three years. I have been teaching for 13 years; 10 of them in Eastern York School District and the past 3 years at Eastern Lancaster County School District. Besides teaching, I am passionate about learning educational technology, Philadelphia sports, traveling, and cooking.

3 thoughts on “Student Blog Challenge: Week 7

1. jodonebb

Hey Mr. Geiman
    It is Emilee again. I have something to tell you, because of you I want to be a teacher. I want to inspire elementary students, like you did for your class last year. And it is never too early to start. on Tuesday I will find a way to talk to the principle. I have not done it yet because I am afraid. But you helped me out a lot. So all that I have to do is thank you. tell Mrs. Geiman I say hi, and baby Gieman.

Reply